Search This Blog

Monday, July 26, 2010

Adventure 21 - The SlingShot Ride

There is a ride at the Calgary Stampede grounds called the Sling Shot (formerly known as the Reverse Bungee).  They strap you TIGHTLY in a chair for two and sling shot you through the air for 250 feet then it snaps you back.  It's been around for years but I have never had a reason to try it.  Adventure 20 was my reason. 

My witnesses were granddaughter Carmen, boyfriend Bill and his daughter Meagan.  For some reason (fear) I could not convince any of them to go with me.  Carmen, given that she's only nine years old, would probably not fit the size restrictions so she gets a free pass.  

I thought I would have to go it alone when along came Richard.  He was visiting from England and was on his own as well.  Problem solved.  Two strangers would ride together.  

Anticipation is all part of the thrill.  You get time to have it really sink in.  There were three pairs ahead of us and all we could to was watch and wait and observe the reactions.  I knew it was going to be okay when I saw a twelve year old boy and his Dad ride ahead of us.  This was going to be fun.

Richard and I step up to the platform and take a seat.  We are strapped in good!  I wasn't sure I was going to be able to breath but the pressure ease off enough.  Now we wait.............and wait.............tick tock, tick tock.  We watched as the springs loaded to the top...then the launch..........




ZOOM! Wahoooooooo!  Now THAT was a great RIDE!
When I can feel my stomach in my chest, then I know I'm having fun! Awesome!

A downside:  the $20.00 souvenir DVD with no sound and terrible video.  A special thanks has to go out to my buddy Richard who emailed me a few still pictures.  It was still well worth the ride.  If it wasn't for the $40.00 price tag, I could have done it over and over.  TRY it.  You'll LOVE it!

No comments:

Post a Comment